Wednesday 15 January 2014

Going solo...the start of my Mini campaign!

Having confirmed the loan of a Pogo 2 back in September, I'm pleased to announce that my Mini Transat campaign has officially started.... I unloaded Foksaglisse (No. 633) off the cargo ship on Monday, moving him (as boats have too much personality to be an 'it') to the submarine base in Lorient where I plan to be training from for the next two years. 

I have been working towards this moment for a long time now; it was back in 2011 that I went through the Artemis Offshore Academy's selection process, which later led on to a 15 month internship with OC Sport in 2012. The internship was a brilliant experience, giving me a solid footing in the management of offshore sailing campaigns through working as Logistics Assistant for the Academy; while also allowing me to sail as a co-skipper in Classe Mini and Figaro events. 

To ensure that I could start my own sailing campaign after the internship, I took work as carer on the Island to save funds towards living costs; which meant very long days 3-5 times a week. I would get up at 05.30 to train on my road bike, be in the office from 08.30 to 16.00, then do my care rounds straight afterwards, getting home at 11pm each night. It was quite exhausting, but I learnt a lot about time management, personal drive, determination and the ability to juggle numerous projects- as well as developing my sailing, I had taken on a big challenge for the year; the 2013 Haute Route Alps, considered to be the toughest mountain cyclosportive in the world. I went straight to the start line immediately after the Rolex Fastnet, to spend 7 days 'racing' my road bike from Geneva to Nice. I was pretty slow, spending around 8 hours cycling a day; but it was good mental and physical preparation for the Transat and a thrilling week!

Throughout last year I also started to get really involved with the Mini circuit, entering the UK Solent, UK Fastnet and Mini Fastnet races; while also helping to prepare The two Pogo 2's of the 'Foksateam' in this year's Mini Transat. It was a brilliant experience to be involved with the build up to the start of the Transat in Douarnenez, flying out to the supposed stop-over in Lanzarote and later for the restart from Sada; where two solid days were spent repairing the boats ahead of the non-stop sprint to Guadeloupe. 

Being in Guadeloupe for the finish of the Transat was a great way to end the season. Following my group of friends' progress from the day they qualified for the race to the day they finished gave me further insight into what it takes to run a Mini campaign; while confirming that this is what I want to achieve in 2015. 

With just one solo race and the 1000 nautical mile passage to complete to be qualified for the 2014 Azores race, the aim of competing in the Transat is gradually becoming more of a reality. I have spent the past 4 months working solidly  on planning & budgets to make sure that come January, I could be stuck in the mud of a French campsite in my semi-converted van. As this is exactly where I am now, something must have gone right... 

At the moment my whole campaign is starting off my life savings and some kind donations, so I have covered the mooring, membership fees and the entry of two qualifying races. I really hope to get 30-35 days coaching from Tanguy Le Glatin and a good season of racing in, so fingers crossed I will come into financial sponsorship soon. 

However I am very pleased to announce the following companies as partners and sponsors for this season:



I would also like to give a huge thank you to my family and those individuals who have given donations; their support has helped with the van and living costs, making this whole dream possible.  

The adventure and the journey begins...