Friday 30 August 2013

Haute Route Alps- I did it!


Stage 1: Geneva - Megeve (153km, 3300 m+)


Arriving in Geneva on Saturday morning, bleary eyed having just finished the Fastnet double handed, I had a bit of a challenge on straight away. My bike had not come with me on the flight....pretty important, as I was supposed to be spending the next 7 days on it! 

After a couple of hours, Claude, my beloved Look (french bike, french name) appeared on the luggage rack and I was off to find the race village. Jim from OC Sport welcomed me on arrival, so straight away I felt looked after. In fact the majority of the OC Sport team (who organized the event) were there, including Alex Blanc (director of the Haute Route), whom I'd taken sailing around the Isle of Wight a  few weeks before hand at a team seminar. This time it was his turn to explain the race course, and I was feeling a bit nervous about what the week had in store!

Getting on with things, I assembled my bike haphazardly on the grass, and then got it checked over by the Look & Mavic mechanics, before registering & collecting my event bag- which luckily had wheels, as it soon became full with extra kit & a pump. I spent the rest of the day talking to people and eating out with friends further down town- a massive pizza, which I suppose you could say was 'carbo loading' for the next day.

That night, my accommodation was in an Army bunker with about 30 men. A slightly strange experience, but I wasn't too put off by the situation having been used to roughing it all year with the Mini 6.50 events. After some faffing about I was ready for the next day, which would start at 5am with a cycle down to the start line!


Stage 1 saw us straight into a climb of Col de l'Encrenaz, rolling off from Taninges which is 50km from Lake Geneva. Rated as a 2nd class climb, the col was 15.5km long with an elevation of 790m. It was a battle to cross the timing mat at the start of the climb, as everyone had cycled in a tightly packed convoy for 25km, and the speed of the group had dropped dramatically to get everyone through the narrow gap. I was pleased to have not fallen off my bike, but soon dropped off the peloton and found myself cycling alone at a very steady pace of 6km an hour-  with an average gradient of 8.4% and maximum 10.5%, it was painfully slow.





Once at the top, there was a good pit stop of fruit cake, crackers & cheese, bananas, dried apricots & energy gels. It was here that I was introduced to Fergus, the 'Lantern Rouge'- dressed in red, he was there to cheer on the group at the back in an attempt to help us make the cut off timings for the day! 

At the top of the very first climb, I did my first interview with the media team- which helped  to take my mind of the long descent I soon had to be rolling down. Pushing off, as I away, free
                                                                                   wheeling down the hill which to me seemed to  
                                                                                    have a lot of bends & need for constant braking! 

Reaching the bottom, I was relieved to find my new friend again, Giles, who had taken pity on me, slowing down to join me for the next climb - the Col de Joux Plane. A 1st class climb, it was 11km long with a maximum gradient of 10.5%. So another hard slog uphill! With another long descent that day, we had to finish with the ascent to Megeve, which seemed to take four ever to finish. The climb was 13.5km with a maximum gradient of 7.5%, so another fairly tough one. Crossing the finish line on day 1, and within the time limit, was such a huge relief and made me think that perhaps I did have a chance of finishing after all! 

It took a while to find my way around the race village, but the massage from an attractive french masseuse (all were there as trainee physiotherapists) did wonders- that and a big plate of lasagne & rice set me up for the 30 minute cycle to the accommodation for the evening, a pretty chalet surrounded by mountains. On arrival it was time for more food (pasta) and a much needed mug of coffee!

Stage 2 : Megeve - Val d'Isere (109 km, 3400m +) 

Day 2; three big climbs and two 'dangerous' descents... the evening's briefing the night before had left a few butterflies in my stomach. Would I finish the day? Let alone the first climb? 

Col des Saisies, a 2nd class climb, started off gently with an average gradient of 4% but kicked up to 7% over 15.5km. I don't remember much about the climb other than it took 1 hour 10 minutes, leaving me 484th out of 490 riders! 

The next climb, taking two hours, wasn't much better but I was pleased to have reached the top of the Col du Cormet de Roselend, a 1st class climb at 21.5km long and a maximum gradient of 9%. The last climb of the day, and my favorite, simply because of the name- the ascent to Val d'Isere - took just under two hours. At 21.5km long and another 6-9% gradient, the climb had condensed my little group at the back quite nicely and I was riding with a mix of French, Irish, Swedish Russian & English cyclists. 

However, by the last 10km I was going very, very slowly, really struggling physically & mentally to get to the finish. I was in tears, swearing out loud to myself on a barren road, on a climb that seemed to have no end in sight. I had overtaken a Frenchman and was determined to stay ahead of him, but it was really hard going. I thought to myself, 'what would Peter Pouley do in this situation?' (although I doubt he has been at the back of a race going at a snail's pace for quite some time!) and decided the answer would be 'he would keep going'. Eventually, I made it to the line, by now with a wide grin on my face. Clipping out of the pedals was difficult though, and I had to give an interview to the media team straight after I'd crossed the line. Tired and in pain, I thought this must be what it is like for the sailors when they finish a big race & have to relieve the tale to a camera crew immediately afterwards! 

The interview is online here: 

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PITRjOmDqC4&list=PLRtJBTmaXj4tv50l_qKLxwEjzWibmP8LU

I forget where we stayed that evening, but I remember not being able to manage any dinner- simply feeling too full from the rider's meal & a day's subsistence on fruit cake, carbohydrate gels & drinks! 


STAGE 3: Val d'Isere - Serre Chevalier (165km, 3400m+) 

The hardest day of the week. It was cold, about 5 degrees, when we rolled downhill to the start line. The first climb was the Col de L'Iseran (1st class), 16km long with a maximum gradient of 8.5%. I'd just made the cut-off time at the top, but spent too long recovering & trying to find somewhere discreet to go to the loo (not easy!). By the time I'd pulled by arm warmers on, I was getting chilly. Pushing off off for the descent, which was over 20km, it wasn't long before I was shivering & my teeth were chattering on the bike. It must have been zero degrees- it was horrid! People were stopping half way down to warm their hands up (I was going so slowly I couldn't justify doing this), and I was so grateful to meet Giles halfway down who said the 'sweep wagon' had insisted we get in at the bottom of the descent. I was half annoyed and half over joyed- getting into a coach seemed very inviting at the time, but then not finishing a stage left me feeling like I had failed for the day. I really wanted to finish every stage of the race, never mind how difficult!

But the cold and my lack of descending skill meant it was time to clamber into the coach, were I would doze uncomfortably for the next seven hours. We drove through Italy - were the temperature soared- with the other riders tackling the Col du Mont Cenis (10.5 km, max gradient 8%) and the Col de L'Echelle (13km, max gradient 7%). Looking out the window, the views were unreal- endless mountains, lakes, trees & local people in traditional dress, it was a shame to not have ridden it. 


STAGE 4: Serre Chevalier - Pra Loup (118km, 3000 m +)

Stage 4, and a very good day for me! Although I was to finish over four hours behind the lead woman, Tatjana Ruf (unbelievable!) the clim of the Col d'Izoard, 19km long with a maximum gradient of 8.5%, was so much fun I was on a high for the rest of the day, and destined to buy a t-shirt to remember it by. I finished the climb in 1 hour 40 mins, 440th, 50 places higher than previously. At one stage I was even 252nd, having caught the benefits of being 'on a train' and starting to understand how a bit of tactics comes into play in these road cycling races. At this point I was ahead of a number of women, with eight over taking me on the descent- I lost so much time it was ridiculous, and was getting quite annoyed that I did not know how to get downhill better. The next climb took 1 hr 57 minutes for a 20.5km ascent (Col de Vars), and the last, the ascent to Pra Loup (7.5 km & average of 6.7%), 46 minutes. I'd finished the day with an official time and was not last on the score sheet- but was trailing four hours behind the lead woman's time. 


That night, after some more cycling, I arrived at the french school we were staying at for the next two nights. With big rooms and very high ceilings, there was one final struggle up hill to get to bed- a ladder  up to the bunk bed! It looked just like an Ikea show room- checking the make of the duvet sets confirmed it! The little town we were staying in was delightful and I ate out that night with friends at a fantastic restaurant. The seating was outside, under a velvet star scattered sky. For 20 euros I had a three course dinner - refreshing salad, chicken, chips & ice-cream. I would love to go back again to explore.  



STAGE 5: Cime de la Bonette Time trial (24km, 1560m+)

Stage 5, and the day I had most been looking forward to all week- the individual time trial, up Cime de la Bonette- the highest road in europe. 


Again, it was a 5am start to get breakfast, with a 10km ride to the start line, where I had to check my start time (1 hour before Mark Turner) and get psyched for the 23.5km climb. Music was pumping at the ramp we had to roll down, and everyone from OC was there to give me some encouragement! 

I really enjoyed the climb, with an average gradient of 6.7% I was able to pull ahead of some guys as we pedaled our way upwards, while still enjoying some amazing scenery. It was, as usual, the last 10km that was the hardest- the road became quite barren and open, and the final 1km was a killer... at one point I did not think I'd finish, it got so tough! Crossing the line at the top in 13th place among the women (it took me two hours 15 minutes) was fantastic; my best finish of the week. I love cycling up mountains- it's so physical but you also need to plan when to push hard and when to ease off (if you've got the energy too). Downing a couple of glasses of coca cola, at an altitude of 2802m, I was on top of the world...for twenty minutes, until it was time to descend....23.5km back down! I always lose my nerve a little after reaching the top of a good climb, but with lunch on the cards in town, I tried not to brake too much. 

STAGE 6: Pra Loup - Auron (143km, 3800m+)

Stage 6 was set to be a slightly shorter day, but with two untimed descents as they were considered too technical & dangerous for people to be racing down them. This news had left me questioning my skill level- was today going to be too difficult? Could I do it? I'd managed to drown out these thoughts the night before by falling asleep with some calming music, and got myself to the start line thinking, 'well, it's only a bike ride'. 

Col de la Cayolle, the first climb of the day, took nearly two hours at 25.5km long and a maximum gradient of 8.5%. Col de Valberg, at 1 hour 20 but a maximum gradient of 10%, had been knackering...and after that, Col de la Couillole- 7.5km more of climbing, but luckily just 30 minutes!
The descents between each of the cols were magnificent... it was on this day that my technique actually improved. I was in the drops for the last two, loving the bends and going through a number of tunnels on the way. The day ended with one final push- the ascent to Auron, which at 31.5km long and a maximum gradient of 10%, was a real test. This climb took me two hours 20 minutes, another on the brink of tears moment.

stage 7- the final day. Expecting a tropical storm with torrential rain, the race organizers decided that the route would be shortened to ensure we arrived in Nice by 1pm. We had a 35km convoy to the start line, mostly all downhill, through numerous tunnels. It was pretty cool to join the peloton on the descent and to cycle with so many people around!



Time for a swim in Nice!
There was one climb for the day, and I managed to get a tow up- doing 25-30kph uphill was amazing, and the first time I've really got the benefits of cycling in a group. It was a long climb, maybe 18km, with a descent to a small village where we converged to collect our medals. Seeing all the OC Sport team there made it such a good experience- I'd done it, I'd finished the Haute Route!

I would love to come back next year to better my time. My goal would be to finish 5th woman; perhaps doable with a proper training programme?!





’Pedal, breathe, pedal, breathe, eat, drink, pedal some more. Life was pure, refreshing, knackering…now I know I can achieve anything with a bit of passion & determination!’’