Thursday 18 July 2013

Bleary eyes, sore muscles, aching heads....must be the selection trials!

For the third time in my life I am with the OC Sport team, spending a long weekend helping to run this year's Artemis Offshore Academy selection trials. 

I successfully completed the trials myself back in 2011, and so have a good idea of how the candidates are most likely to be feeling at each stage of the process; an intoxicating cocktail of physical Exertion, mental tiredness, motivation, excitement, anxiety and competitiveness!  

 
           Rowing tests...hearts pounding


So far the candidates have built and paddled a raft, sailed a Figaro, battled through 2 hours of fitness testing, learnt about basic navigation and completed numerous tasks- such as dissembling an engine and explaining how the water ballast system works on the figaro. 

 
                      I get to transport the Figaros solo over the trials... Woo hoo!


I have spent the first night awake with the candidates, getting in some physical training while they did their fitness tests- 2 1/2 hours road cycling down county lanes in the pitch black. My lights had stopped working so it was a little scary!

Unlike the candidates, back at base, I have access to an endless supply of tea and tiffins cake, which I much prefer to the horrid 'All day breakfasts' that they have to eat this morning. I put the food packs together for the 72 hour selection process; I wonder if any of them will go hungry? Did I forget any of the sporks?

Other tasks that the candidates have been doing include French vocabulary tests, making board games and splicing rope. You end up in a little bubble while doing the trials, feeling as if you are in some sort of never-ending game show, with a live audience. It is a great event to do, as you learn something about your own internal drive to do perform well and the limits you can push yourself to.

With another scorching day to look forward too, i'll be off for a nap, bike ride and lunch this morning, before going back afloat to watch the double handed and solo racing. 

                  Some of the food!